A little while ago the boy and I treated ourselves to a 7 course feast at the wonderful Vetiver restaurant in the New Forest. I feel like I have just about digested the meal now and can recount you all with some snaps of this heavenly tasting menu.
When the waiter came along and set the table we knew we were in for the long haul...have you ever needed 4 different knives and forks ever?
A mistake I always make at these types of places is even though I know there is a lot of food coming my way, I always fill up on the yummy breads, what can I say I can't say no to a carb! It definitely worked against me as by course 3 I was really starting to slow down, Nick on the other hand is every buffets worst nightmare.
The restaurant has a set menu based on what ingredients are in season so we both had the exact same dishes the whole way. It was nice to be able to try things that neither of us would usually choose ourselves.
For the starter courses we had the charred vegetables, rosary goats cheese with balsamic glaze followed by the cured mallard, grilled garden cabbages, port roasted fig and truffle cheese. Both were incredible.
For the mains they served smoked haddock with confit pork belly, garden borlotti and pine morel casserole and the New Forest venison with roast beetroot, roast vegetables and chilli chocolate sauce. For me the fish was a bit too powerful for my liking but the venison was probably my favourite dish out of them all.
Me pre hair cut - sigh.
The cheese course was really special, they called it the "baked goddess" so we didn't really know what to expect. Turns out it is a special kind of goats cheese that they bake in the oven, then slice the top off to reveal a gorgeous golden nectar of cheese. Seriously one of the best things I have ever tasted.
And finally to top it all off, for dessert we had the iced honeycomb parfait, chocolate mousse and honeycomb.
We made it to the end, and I have to say it was one of the best meals I have ever had.
Definitely one to try if you go to the New Forest, we actually got this meal thrown in with our stay at the Chewton Glen because I booked through Mr and Mrs Smith so definitely look out for any offers that include this as part of the package!
x
Whoooooooooa, seven courses? That is heaven! Liking the look of the macaron and parfait. Glad you enjoyed yourself!
ReplyDeleteJoelle
xx
www.febgirl.co.uk
I know, it was a lot!! So good though :) x
ReplyDelete