Stardust

Monday, 17 March 2014
I think a lot of people have the perception that any one can take an amazing photo as long as they have a semi decent camera. I have to say I disagree. You wouldn't enjoy a delicious meal and ask the chef what oven did they use would you? Probably not, same with a good camera, owning a cook book doesn't magically turn you into a master chef (unfortunately!) it takes a lot of trial and error and skill.

When I heard that David Bailey was having a collection of his work displayed at the National Portrait Gallery I knew this was an expo I couldn't miss. This guy has had a lot of practice and has in my opinion mastered the common camera like no other.

Before getting into things I do have to tell you the truth... I have a bit of a heightened fascination with celebrity. Some of my favourite books when I was younger were biographies of famous people including Kurt Cobain, Jon Bon Jovi and of course Johnny Depp. To this day I still watch E! news much more than regular news, award season is my favourite time of year for TV and I seem to know an unhealthy amount of celebrity based facts, one being that I share the same birthday as Marilyn Monroe which is pretty cool right?

Although Bailey has done a lot of work all around the world capturing many different cultures it is still his celebrity and fashion portraits which made him a household name.

The iconic image of Michael Caine with an unlit cigarette in his mouth was on the cover of GQ last month which is what prompted me to get tickets. I have to say I was blown away, his images were really incredible. He loves a portrait and has a trademark look to these images, I tried to find a more eloquent way of describing them other than just "cool" but they are just very very cool.


As well as his famous faces such as Kate Moss, The Beatles and David Bowie his pictures date back to the 60s with the likes of Dali and Andy Warhol and even the Kray Twins.

I resisted the urge to read the GQ article until after I had been to see the collection which I am quite happy about as I can safely say his photographs are some of my favourites but as a person I'm not crazy about the man. His favourite quote seems to be "I knew him before he was famous" when talking about his friends Mick Jagger, Michael Caine and Jack Nicholson. Probably not by accident he comes off very arrogant.

However it goes without saying that he definitely has had a colourful life and it was a real pleasure to take a peek behind the glittery curtain.


You of course can't take pictures at the exposition so these are just some of my favourites - looks like Bailey started doing selfies in the 60s!

If you're in London the collection is open until the 1st June so definitely go check it out. You can buy tickets here.

x
1 comment on "Stardust "
  1. LOVE his work!!! I didn't know about this excebition, have to go and see it!!!

    ReplyDelete